7.07.2011

Getting it all together and racing for purpose for Alina




Recently my friend Alina passed away unexpectedly at the age of 34. When this all started Alina was one of, if not the first to reach out to me to offer praise, encouragement and assistance. Alina was an amazing athlete who crushed her first Ironman in and around 10:15. She will be missed, but not forgotten!

It seemed like every race I had Alina would send me a message such as;  "get it, rip it, take it deep" or you name it.

I plan to talk more about Alina after talking with her family. You can read her race report and blog to me a long while back. One of the many, many great things about the endurance community is the level of support in and off the course. Alina’s friends have put on ride in her memory.


I dedicate my next races to Alina’s memory and to her family. Please consider donating to Alina’s charity in her memory here:


Since Alina passed I’ve been able to use her encouragement as added fuel to push harder and more focused than ever.  One of my daily affirmations is, “someone, somewhere is in a hospital bed right now begging for the opportunity you have right now; step into your moment” This sadly is so true in memory of Alina.



This weekend I take on the Nubble Lighthouse Challenge as prep for My July 24, 2001 Ironman. This race last year almost got me with getting lost in the ocean and my legs shutting down. Time to face it again as it’s been in my head all year!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great post.... I wish you all the luck in the world, luck, comes to those who are prepared... Work hard and just rip it....

Best regards,

Albie, Alina's Dad....

:-)