7.17.2016





67 Days, 11 hours 28 mins but who is counting?

July 17th training update. Another long swim of seven hours in the books. Water becoming very comfortable and a good week of training. Hard part has been spending long hours in swells with no visibility, looking through goggles like a blender which is mostly an issue after I stop swimming. Big push the next few weeks with a little over two months to go. So far, old body is hanging in there. Hitting the gym to keep my shoulders in their socket's. 

Coach Craig's plan is to get me to about 80% of the distance which would be about a ten hour swim before the channel. Going to have to work extremely hard each week.

Housing and flights booked, medical and blood work complete.

My friend Rob Ski connected me with an Ironman athlete Art who is interested in crewing for the event. Just got off the phone with him. He is a paramedic, is moving to London and one crew member I wanted to have when I put this together. Hypothermia is no joke and being so far out in the ocean means its impossible to get urgent care in the event of an emergency (not that I expect that). 

With the channel, the biggest obstacle is the cold. I'm doing my best to nail that down with all my long swims in the Maine ocean without a wet-suit. Also, pretty much every shower is a cold one, A/C on full blast at night sleeping on top of the covers. Mrs. Scribby not liking that. I'm waiting for the "you have to sleep with ice and ice baths" next email from coach Craig.. I'm guessing I am headed for the guest room.

Working on event fundraiser date. My friend owns West-End Johnnies and we are going to do an event there early September. Stay tuned and if you would like to donate directly to Dana, please visit:
Dana Farber

1 comment:

harada57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.