5.31.2016

Training, Channel for Dana Farber




Quick update on training and most importantly fundraising for GVHD and Dana Farber.

To date, we have raised close to $25K with a few more large gifts promised in the next few weeks. Much more effort is in store on the fundraising front. I am looking for a venue and ideas to host something if anyone has some suggestions. I'm leaning toward a casual type event in August.

So, training.... Yes, it is happening any and all hours. I have been hovering around 25 miles a week and doing my best to combat the various over-use type injuries that plague marathon swimmers. Also, paying special attention to my swim stroke. Any flaw gets amplified with the hours and hours on end. In my free time (doesn't exist) I watch swimming video's to hone in my swim stroke.


Coach Craig (and other's) continue to emphasize the need to be in cold water all the time. I have begun the pleasurable task of taking cold showers. I sweat my butt off at night now. I was able to put a good chunk of time in the ocean this past weekend. The water temp was close to 45 degrees without a wetsuit. To be candid, I got in an immediately wanted to run back out. My head froze, immediate head ache, hands searing from the cold. I headed back to shore, then "willed" myself back and fought for the first ten minutes with a high stroke rate and began to warm up pretty fast. The prep in the pool with a high turnover rate Coach Craig has been making me do was on the money.

The distance of the channel by swimming standards is not the issue. Depending on the current's, the distance can be anywhere from 27-33 miles. However, it is the cold that makes most not succeed. The survival rates for a typical person in 50 degrees is about 1-2 hours. No idea on how long it will take me, but I'm preparing to be in cold water for around 12-14 hours. If I can can immerse myself in cold Maine water all the time, the goal is to make the Channel feel like bath water. When I swim in the Maine water, I'm not putting any grease on, just some lube around my pits due to irritation and around my neck.


The training is not unlike Ironman prep. Many weeks of a build, next week a reduction and or lighter volume and a little rest and then bigger, deeper, faster and longer. Return, rinse and repeat. Qt2's nutrition is spot on and I follow it exactly as I did during Ironman prep.


The boat called the Connerma piloted by Kevin Sherman is pictured above. My dear sister Michelle is going to be one of the crew members and Coach Craig will be able to jump in every now and again to pace. He can't pace for the first hour, but can jump in alongside of me every other other. He'll actually swim at least half of the Channel with me, but he get's to wear a wetsuit. It's an exhausting day for him and impressive. He will have to push me hard at various times to make it past the freight boats and to time currents.


In the next two weeks I have to pass a six hour test in the ocean in water less than 60 degrees. Next week I submit myself to another deep medical exam which is required from the Channel Association. I have already been to the endurance lab at MGH for funky stress tests. I have been haltered many dozen's of times.


I've been able to connect with various people who have successfully completed what many call, "The Mt. Everest" of swimming attempts. Most have told me that at this point I'm doing everything I am suppose to do and seem on track. The most valuable piece of information I got, never look up and look for the shore. Keep your head down the whole time and never ask how much is left, because picking your head up not only adds to your time, but does not keep you focused. Also, during past Ironman and long swim attempts I have had to deal with some scary stuff. They all said I will be able to draw from that when it get's ugly and they all assured me it will. It can be throwing up the whole time, huge swells or swimming in the same spot for two hours without any progress.


I've become a bit of an strange sighting at my local pool. I've heard, "you're the crazy guy we heard swims here all hours of the day", to many people inviting themselves to keep me company in the ocean, doing kayak support, etc.


So, like any difficult tasks, I am taking it day by day and doing my best. I know I'll look back on this and will be that much stronger. There are as is life, many dark moments and self doubt during this preparation. I'm in the pool battling feeling selfish, thinking and worrying about my client's, my kids or anything else that can go through your head during endless hours of repetition. It's the mastery of the mind that gives me hope. I don't have any talent here, just an appetite to set a goal and do my level best to make it happen. I've done it all my life and you can too!!

I really appreciate the support from everyone. Stay tuned and please consider knocking the snot out of cancer by donating via your tax free contribution to:

 http://www.jimmyfund.org/events/cancer-fundraising-events/mark-scribner-s-english-channel-swim/




1 comment:

harada57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.