7.11.2016

Endurance swimming, Channel and life


During this training various people have asked about my bucket list pursuit of a solo attempt of the English Channel with the guidance of Craig Lewin and Endurance Swimming which is slated to take place on September 23, 2016. 

Although I have many different types of motivation, mentors and causes that make me want to dream big, set lofty goals, there is a common thread as to what makes me "tick".


It always comes back to how I was raised, and my dear mother. That along with an inner voice that makes me want to push myself in all areas of life, having nothing in life ever handed to me, and a constant, restlessness and a curious mind.


To take a step back, my mother was a nurse. Her name was Marlene and she worked three jobs for as many as thirteen years straight to put food on the table for our family. My family was exposed to an insane work ethic by our mother. She did this while never complaining, with a smile and most importantly giving almost all of herself to those that needed a lift emotionally, and compassionately.


To this day, I can't believe how she pulled it off. Sadly, she passed away at the age of 61 and never got the chance to do the things she wanted, which was to see her kids and grandchildren grow into adulthood. 


On my mum's deathbed, she really only worried about her family and had some regrets about not having enough time to pursue her passions which she just started do before being diagnosed with cancer.


Soon after her death, my sister and I got together to create a scholarship for nursing in her honor at Spaulding Hospital.


I wanted to find a way to endow the scholarship and Spaulding Hospital at the time sent an invitation to run the BOSTON Marathon. I convinced them to let me run with the money raised to go into our newly established fund.


I was 40, completely out of shape, weighed close to 220lb's, had just been to the doctor where my cholesterol was 240  and was told it was time to start considering medication and I was a new father. I was winded going up stairs, a basic "bowling ball with arms". 


I was mourning my mother something awful. I sat back and worried about my health and how my children would view me; would they see me as fit and more importantly as a compassionate man, that had a life of giving vs taking that so clearly our mother taught us? I could solely have business and financial success, but that seemed empty to me.


So, I signed up for the Boston Marathon with never having run more than two miles. I had no idea what I was doing. I had no training plan, just went out and ran with 90 days of training. I cried most long running days at ccompletion, because I missed my mother so badly. It became a way for me to heal and to celebrate her life and the only thing that got me through the race was her memory and all that she sacrificed for us. 


The marathon from a finishing perspective was terrible. It took me close to 6 hours, and was humbling.


However, ten minutes after finishing and for many weeks after, it changed my way of thinking and living life. I raised a lot of money for Spaulding and I would not have been able to do an event like that of not for the personal motivation, the stories and hope people shared with me.


Not much after, I found a coach and ran my next marathon in NYC in/ around 4:30 and again ran in memory of my mum and raised even more money. 


Wanting something more after marathons, I set out to complete a half ironman. More money raised and was able to fit everything into my life. Training became my personal development lab, I was growing as a person, testing my limits and building confidence in all areas of my life and candidly never more happy. 


I joined Minuteman masters through Rich Axtell and learned how to swim. The first few practises were daunting and I literally fell asleep at my desk one day because I did not know how to eat well.


After feeling comfortable, I sought out and found Jesse Kropelnicki from QT2 who is considered the best in BOSTON for the full ironman distance with training plans and more importantly nutrition. 


I completed many, many ironman races, long swim events, long hikes and by this point lost over 70lbs.  I typically raced around 140lbs and was able to qualify officially for the Boston marathon with a sub 3:20 through Jesse. I just received my annual exam results and my lab tests were as perfect as one could want.


Each and every race, I would learn of someone faced with cancer, or a hardship and would reach out to them to lend support. I would write their name on my shoe, hold their plight in my mind during many long and brutal training days. 


During periods of doubt, I would draw on the knowledge that if these survivors felt better, they would be out there with me living life. My training day and my sacrifice always paled in comparison with what others have gone through. 


I could not wait to cross the finish line and grab a medal so that I could give to my inspiration (s). All of them I stay in contact with and I count them as life-long friends.



After racing a lot, I needed a break. I took about a year off to spend more time at work and with my family.

As a restless person and having goals I sat back wondering what was next. Tri's where great, but found them hard to fit into life with all gear and an insane travel schedule. My body was not liking all the pounding from running either and settled more into swimming as it was time efficient and the best bang for the buck. 

I have an insane bucket-list and one item was to swim the channel. Not unlike everything in my life, there were so many people who told me it would be impossible to do. 

The quickest way to get me to do something is to tell me I can't do it. I'm conditioned to flipping the word "no", to "on" as as quickly as I hear it. Even typing the word "no" is hard for me to do!!!


As has been the case during races, bucket list, life, is that many people will doubt you. You will doubt yourself. It's the norm. History is littered with many people who have accomplished a lot after being told they are worthless, crazy,  have limiting beliefs, naysayers. Obstacles are always lurking but in all cases, don't ever be afraid to make the first step and make a move. 

Each new distance, race, business or event or while waiting for the gun to go off was new experience, I was scared, wondered if I could complete. Many of the races did not go as planned. The metaphors in life as compared to racing are endless. Stuff will and can go wrong, all you ever can control is how you deal with it is a constant phrase I repeat to myself in all areas of my life.

It does not matter what motivates you, but I feel we all have that fire deep down. Turn on the news each day, it's easy to get sucked into despair.

I'm here to tell you, for the rest of my life, I do/will draw on testing my limits when faced with doubt or uncertainty because of endurance sports.


It does not matter what your goal is. It can be big or small. For me, even if it's not a personal best, a faster fast, a "one-up" it is all about the journey. In fact, the actual race or event is typically anticlimactic just a celebration that you set a goal and are out there testing yourself.

Which leads me to today. After about two years of planning with Craig Lewin, hundreds of hours in the pool and meeting Shawn during one of his cancer treatments and connecting with Dana Farber, my tide date for the channel is 9/23/2016.

If you would like to make a tax-free contribution to Dana Farber please consider donating here.